National Safety month is an annual reminder to us all of the many hazards facing workers on construction sites and of the importance of keeping everyone in the industry safe.
The goal of this year’s campaign is to help reduce the leading causes of injury and death at work.
The most up-to-date statistics puts the importance of health and safety in perspective!
Of the 5,333 workplace deaths in the US in 2019, the highest number – 1,061 or 20% – were in construction. That’s over three people every day or over 20 every week!
It is a shocking statistic that is completely avoidable if the industry takes the precautions it should!
And it’s simple steps that make all the difference.
Our Top 5 Tips for a Safe Site
- Ensure you have the right tool for the job. Investing in tools that work with the natural movement of the body can prevent a range of injuries and strains. Always check tools are working properly before operating.
- Wear full protective equipment at all times. It is your last line of defence if you come into contact with a hazard on your site. Safety boots, high-viz vests, goggles and hard hats all protect you against serious injury so make sure you don’t enter a site without them.
- Never work high up without suitable guard rails or other fall prevention safety measures.
- If you see something you don’t feel is safe then report it to your supervisor. Management can’t act unless they know what is going on and the sooner an issue is reported, the quicker it can be fixed.
- Finally, keep your site tidy. Tripping hazards and spills can lead to accidents and serious injury so make sure you keep your work area tidy during your shift.
Stay Safe with MetroWall
Our glass wall partitions are installed with the greatest attention to detail on site and staff safety is a priority at every job.
To find out more about our systems and how we work, contact us today.